Sunday, June 30, 2013

Oh What Do You Do In The Summertime?

Life never stops moving and summer is well on its way.  Hard to believe- the crazy heat also fits in this category.  It took longer than I wanted to feel like my insides had recovered from the May marathon.  I ran a half marathon in American Fork a few weeks ago (the same I'd done for the previous 2 years).  It was wonderful to be with friends and run for people who are struggling with cancer.  I stayed with my friend Kelly Johnson the night before and we had a marvelous time catching up.  She is one remarkable and brave woman.  I had such a great race that I soon thereafter thought I wanted to quickly find another half marathon.  Practically over night the desire to do lots of races vanished.  It feels good to just enjoy my family, focus on home, and do "summer" things.

Derek started his 1st swim lessons this past week.  The 1st 2 days were interesting.  I could readily tell that he was the least comfortable in the water, but he was mostly obedient to his teacher.  The 2nd day I forced his swim clothes on him and carried him to the car.  He was completely unaffected by my efforts to leave without him, hoping he'd want to come.  That trick quickly died in flames- at least for that.  But, now he loves his swim lessons.  I figured it would take him a few days to decide they were OK.  Yesterday I took the boys to the pool and we had a splendid time.  He enjoyed himself much more than before.  Now we need to help Benjamin like the water...  Never ending!

Benjamin charms people wherever he goes.  While visiting my mother in the hospital the other day, we were there while Elder and Sister Perry paid Mom a visit too.  He charmed their socks off!  That's my Benjamin!  He has transitioned his swagger to walking, since he no longer crawls.  It basically looks like he's dancing and walking at the same time.  Pretty hilarious!  Both he and his brother are fascinated with construction tractors and get excited every time we pass the high school where they're putting in astro turf.  Thomas the Train has quite the fan base at our house too.  We will start the Mom-tot swim class with him a week from tomorrow.  Should be an adventure!

Tyler came home early from work today sick.  He's been in a area of the prison lately where there is no AC and with this heat wave, no wonder!  It reminded me of when I had to adjust to the heat on my mission in Brazil.  That was an interesting challenge and I distinctly remember praying that my body would adjust.  Tyler is doing well, overall.  He loves his job and seeing this deep level of satisfaction for him is so rewarding.  I see things in him I didn't know existed and I love him that much more.

I'm doing pretty average.  My mom had heart surgery on Tuesday and is in recovery, doing well.  I've been to see her every day since and the boys enjoy going too, the few times I've taken them.  She's such a trooper and has a serious amount of grit.  I'm excited to run the Riverton 10K this Thursday for Independence Day and continue doing summertime activities with my children.  I want to take them to the mountains and continue to go swimming a lot.  I'm looking forward to painting the dining area soon and getting a new table and chairs.  There's always lots of yard work to do and cleaning, etc.  Basically, I'm just enjoying life in the simple lane.  No real training, just living in the moment, the best I can.

We are richly blessed!  The timer to the oven is beeping telling me the chicken nuggets are done.  What a Sunday dinner!  With Tyler sick, it's not as fun to make a super yummy dinner, so I'll just cook myself a salmon burger and let the kids eat dinosaurs.  At least they'll get green beans.  That should compensate, right?  Cheers to summertime!

No comments:

Post a Comment