Sunday, September 6, 2015

School Started?

The only real indication of fall for us is the drop in temperature.  Everyone else has started a school year.  We really haven't.  Derek was cleared to attend school the 1st week for 1-2hrs a day.  So he went til morning recess.  We got oober lucky to have the same teacher he had for kindergarten (she now teaches 1st grade- we love Mrs. Benware!)  Derek is such a quick learner and loved every second he got to be with all his classmates.

The last weekend of August we spent up at my sister's house for what we called "The Donovan Show." My sister, LaNan, had one son returning from a mission and another leaving for a mission (all within a week) so they both spoke in church.  For the 1st time in a few years all my sisters and I were together.  It was a par-tay!  I went hiking with Minae (the oldest) and basked in the presence of my dynamic and powerful sisters.  I needed their strength, love, and support.  My 2 nephews whose missions brought us all together are stinkin' hilarious and completed the whole experience.  Did I ever mention I am an aunt to the most rockin', cool, purely awesome nieces and nephews?  If not, I just did.

That Sunday night, after arriving home, Derek developed a fever.  This does NOT mean we give him Tylenol and send him off to bed.  We have very specific instructions on how to handle fevers- depending on how high it is, duration, etc. We were instructed to take him to the ER.  Blah.  Blood cultures were drawn, but he seemed to be OK, so we were sent home about midnight.  Bottom line, he'd gotten a cold and since he practically has no immune system, all his body has as a defense mechanism is to heat up, hence the fever.

Given all that, we figured school the next week was out of the question.  So, we tried to start a pseudo school routine at home. Yeah...  I think Mrs. Benware has much better motivating skills than me.  We did OK.  Guess we have lots more time to practice since the school year just began.  It's extra difficult when Benjamin gets bored and gets in Derek's face.  Thankfully he starts preschool this coming week.  It will be good for him on many levels, and therefore good for the whole family.

Thursday was a loooooong chemo day for Derek.  He and Tyler got home about 6p.  Not long thereafter Derek got a fever.  Again.  I left work early and rushed him to the ER at the childrens hospital.  He'd received a blood transfusion as part of his clinic day and so the doctors were extra cautious to make sure it wasn't a transfusion reaction.  His blood counts were quite low at the ER visit and he was admitted (smart Me hadn't packed anything for an overnight stay- brilliant!).

Derek stayed 2 nights, just long enough to make sure a new set of blood cultures wasn't going to go positive.  I got some of the best sleep being there with him.  Who knew?!  Not having housework to worry about and little Benjamin to be an alarm clock I almost felt like a teenager on Saturday morning again.  But, we were very ready for discharge.  We can all only handle so much screen time.

Benjamin was an angel through it all for Grandma and Grandpa Canova.  Zachary did OK.  He's teething and was therefore a bit of a pill. Thank goodness for a patient grandma and Tylenol (totally justifiable in this circumstance, phew!).

Well now that was a fun, large, hiccup in our life!

No comments:

Post a Comment