Monday, July 16, 2018

Cruel Summer

Andy Williams had it wrong.  Summer is the most wonderful time of the year.  Nothing against Christmas (except it's COLD that time of year), but I like summer better.  And, I can celebrate Christ all the time.  So there.

Why is summer so blissful?  Um, we have no school (aka no schedules) watermelon, fresh and cheap produce everywhere, Popsicles, swimming, boating, hiking, camping, vacation, gardening, just to name a few.  I love the smell of sunscreen (especially Banana Boat- smells like bananas!, except the aerosol).  I love the smell of the chemicals for the community outdoor swimming pool.  I love being cold from being in the pool and then lying down on the otherwise scorching concrete.  I love how it gets dark late and it's easy to lose track of time when I'm outside with my kids, chatting with neighbors, or working in the yard.  I love paddle boarding and wave running (I just really love all things water).  

This summer has had it's own twist.  With hip surgery the beginning of June, I am finally allowed to submerse myself in water- be it a bath tub, swimming pool, or the lake.  It's now the middle of July.  I can't wait!!  Come early fall I'll be able to hike.  Here soon I'll tackle our gnarly front flower bed for the first time since moving in late spring.  We purchased a golden retriever puppy right about the time school let out, so I've enjoyed early summer morning with her.  We go on short walks, work on commands, play fetch, have a party every time she goes potty outside, and we snuggle.  Yes, I snuggle with my puppy.  So what?  We both love it.  All that soft, fluffy fur is so soothing to pet.  Who knew?!

Thankfully I've still eating my weight in watermelon.  A few times.  I sit and watch my older 2 participate in swim lessons and soak up the smells of summer-  like that sunscreen and those pool chemicals.  I watch bikers, runners, and walkers out enjoying the river trail behind our house at all hours of the day.  And.. wait for it... I have the "joy" of hearing my children fight.  It often feels incessant.  Ah, the price of no school.

I love my children.  I really did not like my toddler, however, the other day when he broke our popsicle molds because he refused to go to bed and hid in the dog kennel with the freshly-made watermelon popsicles.  I did not like all 3 of them today when I heard yelling, doors slamming, and then crying.  Again.  The battle of who gets to play with what Lego guy never ends!  My oldest's Nazi-like rules for who can enter his room can cause a lot of tension.  Argh!!  The younger two then had to prod, challenge, and patronize.  And in the middle of it all, the toddler had a potty training accident.  Per usual, I had no clue as to what to do (other than clean up the potty mess, clearly).  Frankly selling them to the gypsies sounded tempting, as it does more frequently than I'd like to admit.  I would've even offered the puppy today to sweeten the deal (she was oh-so-naughty this morning).  Being a mom today seemed extra challenging.  I felt like I was failing.  

Blissful summer, eh?  Actually, it is.  Really.  My children are healthy.  Swimming lessons are going great.  We're going to the lake day after tomorrow and we've renting inflatable paddle boards (Huzzah!).  We're meeting up with friends and cousins soon.  I get to take my oldest to a musical in a few weeks at the local ampitheater.  There's a watermelon on my counter I get to cut up tomorrow (did I mention how much I LOVE watermelon?!)  My recovery from surgery is going as well as possible.  I get to enjoy bike rides on that river trail behind my house as part of my physical therapy.  Our puppy is learning quickly and well, even if she still is a puppy.  So I guess let the children struggle.  They're home.  They're safe.  They're learning (sometime I wonder what).  And I'm learning too.  Hopefully some patience and love.  Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Feeling about the same. 😊 I love being able to get up early before the kids and get outside without it being cold. The kids argue a lot but itsi so awesome when they all play together nicely!!

    ReplyDelete