Time keeps a flyin' by and the other day I was reading the weather forecast and the meteorologist said something about "summer-like" weather. Huh? It's too early for that. Well, then I got to thinking and remembered that it is indeed the month of May, so such weather patterns would be permissable. I guess with such a ridiculously freezing and gloomy winter, I was subconciously consigning myself to colder weather for longer than necessary. So, bring it on!!!
Lately I have been amazed at how funny my children are. Correction, that's always been the case. Everything with Derek's is "tonight," "today," he wants it 2 times, and tries to negotiate everything. At dinner when we're trying to coerce him to eat more of something and we dictate how many bites is sufficient, he always retorts back with another amount. We eventually settle on what we deem satisfactory and dinner continues. The other day he was trying to clean the extension cord in the extra bathroom, while it was plugged in. Needless to say, Mommy only plugs it in when in use now. Just yesterday, while "helping" me make Lentil Salad for dinner, I was squirting dijon mustard into a teaspoon and Derek quickly observed and said, "It's poop!" I had to keep from laughing, explained that it's mustard (ou mostarda), and then he responded, "Oh, it's good." Yes, son. I will say, it does resemble baby poop quite closely. I still like it just fine. He is WAY into construction equipment right now- the big stuff. We've checked out quite a few library books about them lately and now everywhere we go, he sees mixers, loaders, cranes, dumptrucks, excavators, and the like. I'll admit, I'm learning what they're all called myself. I was too into playing with dolls and winning bike races as a little girl- oh, and piano. Derek also continues to love trains, garbage trucks, and pretty much all locomotives. Little boys are SO FUN!
Benjamin, in the last week, has finally decided that walking is preferrable to crawling. He still, on occasion, resorts to crawling, but really enjoys walking (our toddling) around now. It's so cute to watch him and he sometimes sticks his tongue out. He's trying to be a picky eater, but we won't have it! I figure if he doesn't want what we're eating, he can eat at the next meal and that he'll finally figure out that if he's hungry, to eat what's placed before him. He's too young to know what he likes and doesn't. Sometimes I wonder how much of it has to to with the fact that he's teething so certain textures are harder for him. For example, he's LOVED cut-up tomatoes in the past and wouldn't eat that yesterday. Meat seems especially difficult for him. He does best when it's mixed in things. And perhaps his ability to chew just isn't quite where I think it is yet. He charms people everywhere we go, yesterday at WinCo being a prime example. He bounced up and down in the cart, smiling to everyone and everything. We call him our little "bird" because anytime someone is eating, he approaches them, exhibiting maximum cuteness, pulls himself up and high as he can and waits for his bite. If refused, he yells. My morning green smoothie is a daily example. It's fun to watch him play with the cars when Derek is out of the room. He looks around to make sure Older Brother really is gone, and then proceeds to play, do sound effects, all with Derek's favorites, of course. Oh, and he freaks out on elevators. I gotta admit, it's rather funny.
Tyler continues to love his new job at the prison. He takes crap from no one (big surprise) and is working on finding the best time-efficient options for his downtime waiting for calls. One of which is developing a exercise habit- I'm very excited about that. He's always on high demand by Derek at bathtime (Mommy is forbidden to wash or dry him). He's all about getting our garden ready and thriving. I love how he's reading books to better himself and shares what he learns with me. I could be smug here and say that when he shares such things I'm thinking to myself "Jeez, it's about time!"- but that would be fibbing. In all reality, it's fun when he shares and I'm learning too.
As for myself, I'm just counting down til my marathon in a week and a half. I can hardly wait! I LOVE the course (who doesn't love Ogden Valley?!) and am feeling pretty amazing. I went and helped my friend Andrea yesterday since her 2nd little one arrived just 2 weeks ago. It was a delight and pleasure to be with her and ease her burdens a bit. I too am excited for out summer garden. The huge tree in the back is gone, so we have A LOT more sun and therefore an equal amount more of growing potential. Now that I'm gluten free, growing my own squash is something I really want to get good at. Speaking of which, it's employee appreciation week at work and they provided free lunch today. When I discovered this, I was cautiously excited. Well, turns out they had bbq beef sandwiches. Bummer! I at least enjoyed a fruit kabob. Sigh. I'm grateful that such moments are rare and I'm 99% glad to be free of gluten. I feel a lot better.
We went to Lagoon this past Saturday since Mia and Katee were dancing in some huge competition. It was fun to be with family and we all completely wore ourselves out. Derek LOVED some of the kiddy rides and Ben freaked out on the carousel, as predicted. The previous evening we all enjoyed eachother at LaNan's and ate til we popped. We celebrated Mom's birthday too. Family is heavenly indeed!
Well, that was a ridiculously long post!
No comments:
Post a Comment