Monday, November 18, 2013

Needles and Haystackes

Who doesn't love fall? (If you happen to be a mutant and not enjoy the best season ever, please don't spoil it by telling me)  The crisp air, the lovely colors, excellent hiking, and stellar runs in practically perfect conditions regardless of time of day are just a few of my favorite things about autumn.  I also like rain drops on roses, crisp apple strudels (gluten free, of course), door bells, sleigh bells, okay I'll stop.

Halloween is always a trip with small children.  Derek wanted to be an elephant (his favorite animal, EVER!) and Benjamin used an old doggy costume.  He was cutest, squishiest, adorable doggy. Period.  Derek refused to wear his elephant nose, but consented to wear the head band with Dumbo ears (this is the child who had a major melt-down every time he had to adjust to new shoes for the first 2+ years of his life).  Strange the OCD tendencies my children pick up from their father... ahem...I mean mother (guess I didn't realize I was so obvious- and for clarification, I adore new shoes and have no problem wearing them and could probably multiply and replenish the earth with new shoes if  I felt my wallet could withstand it).

Moving right along... Tyler and I dressed up and Kate Beckett as Richard Castle from abc's "Castle" which we love. I don't remember the last time I wore that much eye make up. It was probably that silly junior miss pageant when I was a senior in high school. Did I really participate in a pageant?  Whoa!

The past few months I have been seeing an acupuncturist for restless leg syndrome (RLS-yep, there's an acronym for everything).  I feel I have found a new amazing secret, but it really shouldn't be a secret.  It's AMAZING!!! I used to wear compression socks almost every day (especially after a run) due to the pain from my varicose veins (thank you, genetics... not really).  I no longer feel a need to wear them, even after my weekly 10-11 mile runs. I feel super young again and feel so grateful to have been guided to this form of "alternative" medicine.  And, my restless legs are waking me in the night less and less.

Tyler just finished the academy for the Utah Department of Corrections for his job at the prison.  The highlights were: "What Does the Fox Say?," range practice, being sprayed with OC spray, and ultra  boring lectures on the psychology of prison inmates.  Honestly?!  He loves his job and I do too because who doesn't love having a happy man in the house?!

And...wait for it... my favorite part?   A hideous infection of Streptococcus pyogenes!  Say wha?  At the end of a serious battle with wretched laryngitis, I got a nasty case of strep throat.  I felt like I'd been hit by a truck- I couldn't even sit in the chair in the exam room at the dr. office-  I curled up like a fetus on the exam table.  Blech!!!  My appreciation for Alexander Fleming took on new meaning (the man who is credited for antibiotic discovery- the Penicillium mold story thus finding penicillin, etc.). Poor little Benjamin got it too, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I had a much higher bacteria load cuz he hardly seemed effective.  Or, I'm a major pansy.

Okay, this post is overly long and full of tangents.  I'll stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment