Sunday, January 19, 2014

Winter is so not my favorite

Well, time flies and although I like winter less every year, I'll still take it over Arizona summers.

We went to Boise for Thanksgiving to my sister Melanie's.  It was TONS of fun!  Both Tyler and I worked the day before the holiday, so I got done early to prep all our stuff, pack, etc.  As soon as Tyler got home we got on the road and drove to a Motel just off the exit to Twin Falls, continuing our journey the following morning.  It was delightful to be with family, be away from home, and be together.

We came home and with December came overly cold weather.   Let's put it this way, I actually didn't run in the early am for quite a while because it was that cold.  In a word, it was wretched.  I began to seriously dread the rest of the winter more than every before.

Tyler and I work alternate weekends.  It's glorious.  Not really.  But, it works and I'm grateful my work has been good to comply.  Here in another 6 weeks-ish,  I'll be working mostly evenings and hardly any weekends at all.  It's going to be best for family life- consistency, and more sleep.

Tyler is really trying to figure out what he wants to do career wise.  The prison job is a major blessing, but he knows he doesn't want to be there forever.   He's toying with the ideas of being a diplomat, working for the US Marshals, Emergency Management, and a few others.  All of a sudden he's a "grown up."

Derek is learning so much as preschool- counting to 100, the months of the year, "Puff the Magic Dragon," a much more. We're still trying to get that chronic thumb out of his mouth.  He continues to be a good helper and I love it when he wakes up in the morning and climbs in bed with me.

Benjamin talks more and more and actually forms little sentences.  Now that I'm no longer the primary chorister (as of today), I'm really gonna miss going to nursery and singing with him and the other small  children. That also goes for seeing Derek in primary.  He's frequently coming up to the front to give me hugs.  I'm gonna miss that.

Ben is even learning to make sound effects as he flies his little planes and drives his little cars.  He's still trying hard to be a picky eater.  We're exploring various options to remedy that.  Sigh.  Most of the time he's a pure delight to have around and will still snuggle with Mommy.  :) 

We've gone sledding a few times, Tyler's taken them to the zoo, and we're all trying to not get too-bad a case of cabin fever.  Christmas was fun.  We actually had Santa come on the 27th since Tyler and I worked Christmas Day, and he the day after.  But, on the 27th, talk about magic!!!  In fact, Ben woke up before Derek, at a normal time.  So Tyler and I snuggled with  him a bit waiting for Derek knowing that this was probably the last year before early Christmas mornings.  Then, the magic began!!!  I have my hesitations about the whole Santa thing, but it was fun to watch their excitement.  Ben got to a point where he no longer wanted to open presents- too boring!  Playing with new toys was much more fascinating.

We went uptown to the lights that afternoon and to see the giant gingerbread house in the Grand American Hotel.  Holy moly! The floor was even made of rice krispie treats!  It was a seriously marvelous day.

Our new year was pretty uneventful.  Between the cold and work, we went to bed early New Year's Eve.  Now we know how old and boring we are.

Benjamin's birthday was fun.   Derek got a bit jealous as his brother opened presents.  It's hard to believe he's already 2!  Not fair how fast children grow.

Well, thankfully January is unusually warm.  Should I be worried- water storage, etc?  Perhaps, but I figure I can't do anything about it, so I'll just enjoy it, except for the inversion part.

Life is great and this blogpost is rather boring. But hey, I updated the blog, so I'm proud of myself for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment